Saturday, April 2, 2011

In the world of Iron


First off, let's start with Sis. Cluff's question as to what is so bad about Organ Stop. Honestly, there's nothing really bad about working at Organ Stop except the usual issues you find with almost any other job. The terrible thing about Organ Stop is that it sucks you in, there's a saying that says you can never really quit at Organ Stop, you'll always come back. It is true 95% of the time, unless you get fired you can always come back (even some people who have been fired have been rehired). Organ Stop is too convenient, they work with your schedule really well which is why I've been there for over 8 years. So, for an entry level job it is great and fantastic, but once you're in it's hard to get out. That's all that's really  bad at Organ Stop.

Moving on to the topic of the day: Iron. Since I have become an expert in how to take Iron, I thought I'd share my wisdom with you just in case you ever need to take it.

Over October break I got super sick, like so sick that I finally allowed my mother to take me to the doctor (that's a big deal at our house). They fixed me all up and made me better, but part of that involved taking iron because I was super anemic. So, the lovely doctor prescribed this:
 It's called Integra. She said that it was very mild, and most people don't get sick when they take it. Well, I was an exception to that rule. It made me want to barf every time I took it, and I even followed all the directions like taking it at exactly the same time every day, and making sure I ate 2 hours before I took it and 1 hour after (which is hard to do when you're student teaching and working at  the same time). I didn't like it at all so I talked to my wonderful sister-in-law, who knows all about the world of natural medicine, and I asked her if there was something better I could be taking instead. She did a little research and found this:
I decided to try it and I love it! It doesn't make me want to barf. Granted it is only 20% of your daily iron instead of 125%. I take it every day with 12 oz. of orange pineapple juice. Since I take my iron faithfully I have researched and learned all about it, and here's what I've learned:


  • Do not take iron with milk it will make it so it doesn't absorb into your body.
  • Liquid iron (like I take now) is better for you because your body can absorb it better.
  • Taking iron with Orange juice helps your body to absorb it better (hence, why I take it with orange pineapple juice).
  • Do not take liquid iron with water unless you like the taste of Camp Kenyon water (which I do not).
  • Pickles and iron are a bad combination and are the only time I've felt sick taking liquid iron (it took awhile to figure that connection out)
  • If you are anemic and take iron it gives you energy and makes it so you don't feel so tired all the time.
 That's it on the iron subject. I hope you learned something new today. In other business, look forward to a Spring Break post involving pictures. Here's one for you while you wait.




 PS-Hasn't General Conference been wonderful?

6 comments:

Kailei said...

THANK YOU LINDA!!! I have been super frustrated with my iron! I have been taking an iron pill that supposedly has 300% of your iron needs so that the part that is actually absorbed is around 100% but I went to donate blood and my iron was at 9.8! Bleh! I am definitely going to try the taking it with OJ and eating with it (I've been taking it at night so that I don't notice the stomach pains). Thanks for the advice. And sorry for the super long comment!!

Stacy said...

Oh so I think I need to get me some liquid iron. I am anemic (as every women is), and it would be nice to have a little more energy! Where did Marie find that little gem?

Alan said...

I have also heard that Organ Stop is hard to leave because the pizza is great and the music is so cool. I know that is why Grace and Julie don't want to leave when we go.

P.S. I hear that spinach is naturally high in iron.

Marie said...

Alan- FYI-Chia Seeds have more iron than spinach.

And just so everyone knows- iron supplements aren't like your daily multi vitamin

A word of caution: If you are taking iron supplements, you should have had your blood tested showing a deficiency and then be monitored by a doctor.

I actually don't take iron supplements:)

Cassie said...

I am glad to know that you are not drug dealers. This is Cassie yeah!

Lisa said...

That is so true about OSP. Even though I haven't been there for ages I still feel like that's where I...belong. hahah