Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mothers

Today I am working on my relief society lesson. I teach the fourth Sunday lesson on recent conference talks. This month, in my stake, the talks are all about mothers. As I read the talks assigned for the lesson I was overwhelmed with a great love for mothers.

I thought about all my friends who are such wonderful mothers to their children. How much they love and care for their children. I love to see them with their children and see them teaching them correct values. I thought about my friend who so desperately wants to be a mother, and I cried for her, because although I'm not married, I can also slightly feel the pain that she feels, yearning to be a mother, desiring so much to have a family to raise and rear in righteousness.

I thought of my sister and sisters-in-law who are such good examples to me of righteous mothers. They take care of their families and teach them so well. I love to be with them, their children love the gospel and I know it's because they are taught the gospel in their homes. I love to put my nephew, Jack to bed. I love to sing him the primary songs that his parents sing to him each night, and watch his face as he prepares to sleep.

I thought about all the wonderful church leaders I've had who were not only wonderful mothers to their children, but also to me. They reinforced gospel truths taught in my home, and I could see the love they had for their families, me, and the Savior.

I especially thought about my mother though. I thought about how much she loves me, and each of my siblings. I am so grateful that I've always had a mother in my home who knows the importance of being at home and teaching us. I'm grateful for the friendship we have. In today's world how many girls can say that their mother is their best friend. I am grateful that I can say that. I'm grateful that my mother taught us the importance of supporting your husband in his priesthood duties. She has taught me how to be a mother. If I can be anything like her when I'm a mom someday I will be greatly blessed. She is truly amazing, and she can do anything. I am even more grateful for her as I intern in classrooms. I talk to the kids in my classes and listen to their comments about their family and home and I many times I just want to cry. I feel so bad for these students who do not have a mother who is a good example.

I am so grateful that our church sees the importance and value in motherhood. I'm so grateful that they support mothers and encourage them. I look forward to the day when I can be a mother, what a great and happy day that will be. I know it's not always easy to be a mom, but I know that it's worth it!

6 comments:

Ashlee G. said...

Oh Linda, :-) I don't know what else to say. I love you though. <3

Stacy said...

Ah Linda! You make a great 2nd mother to my children. I know Jack for sure gets more excited to see you than me sometimes.

Love ya!

Lisa said...

I love this post so very much! It's all so true. And it's sad so many people don't appreciate moms like they should!!

Also when I was on my dashboard homepage thing, I glanced at your blog but definitely read it as "Our Handsome Thoughts." So if you guys ever want to change the name of your blog for some reason...you know what to do.

So excited to see you all next week!!!

mama bear said...

Great insightful post, Linda. You really do have several good examples of wonderful mothering in your family, and someday you're going to be an awesome, loving mother as well! I wish I could hear your lesson....

mama bear said...

I like the new look of the blog!

Cluff Family said...

Your mother is one of my favorite mothers. You are so blessed to have her. Good luck on your lesson.