Monday, November 3, 2008

We Give Thanks

Caution: This is an extremely long post! If you don't want to read it I won't be offended!

Okay, I know that it's not even Thanksgiving time yet, and most people aren't even thinking about Thanksgiving and counting their blessings, but I am. I am the Enrichment counselor in my ward and due to the fact that it's a singles ward and the relief society presidency is changed quite frequently I have the honor of completing two enrichment activities before the end of the year! How fun, huh? That means one in November and one in December. I have been planning my November one for quite awhile and my theme is "We Give Thanks". This theme has caused me to think about all of the things I'm thankful for more than I usually do. So, I'd like to share with you some people who have greatly influenced my life.

First: My family (especially my parents)
My family has been a great influence in my life! They have shown and taught me how to live my life in order to be happy. My mom taught us to love the music of the church, and my dad taught us to love the stories in the scriptures! I am grateful for that! They also taught us by example how to pray and the importance of prayer. My mom always taught us to be happy. There were quite a few times when I had to go to my room until I could find my smile because it had been lost somewhere in there. I now know that my mom just wanted me to be happy! My siblings have also been great and righteous examples to me. My older siblings have shown through their example the importance of the temple and the blessings that come through temple attendance. I truly love my parents and siblings for all that they have taught me!
Second: My Grandparents
I know this is only one set of them, but I am grateful for the examples all of my grandparents have set for me. They have also taught me to love the temple, and to accept church callings. My grandparents always encouraged me to sing, and always asked me to sing a primary song for them. I can remember the first time I ever saw my Grandma Guthrie cry, and that was when my family was singing "I Wonder When He Comes Again" (her favorite primary song) I think it was the first time that I realized music was so powerful and could have such a spiritual and emotional impact on us. I am grateful for that lesson she taught me, without even knowing it.



Third: My Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins
Without even knowing it my aunts and uncles have shown, by the way they've raised their families, how I want to raise my family. I'm not saying they were perfect, but it is better to learn from someone else's mistakes than to make them yourself. My cousins are also great examples to me, they have taught me to put my faith in the Lord and everything will work out for our good. I am grateful for the example of my cousins, that they got married and had children, even if their husbands were in school, and they had to move far away from their families.

Fourth: Continuing with my cousins
Laura and Kelsie are the only girl cousins (on both sides) that are my age (Stephen I'm sorry you're stuck in this picture!). We had many opportunities to spend the night at Grandma's house and talk about girl things. I am grateful for the friendship that we built, and for the time we had together to be girls! I can vividly remember one night in particular when we talked about growing up. We wanted to grow up and be "big girls" just like our sisters. Well my friends, we have grown up, and now I wish it wasn't so fast!


Fifth: Cajsa
Cajsa was my best friend in elementary school, starting in 4th grade. I was having a rough start of the year, all of my previous friends had moved during the summer, and I was left friendless. I don't really know how we became friends, but we did. We helped each other through some rough times, and I am grateful for her friendship. She helped me to do things I wouldn't have ever dreamed of doing, like being stage crew for the talent show at school. What a blast we had!


Sixth: My Mesa Jr. Friends
Almost every member of the church that went to Mesa Junior is in this picture. Therefore, I really relied on these friends! I learned how to stand up for my beliefs in my years at Mesa Jr. and it was easier because I had these good friends!


Seventh: Katie
Katie became my friend in Junior high, and we don't even know how! I am so grateful for Katie, we have been through thick and thin together. We have told each other some pretty deep secrets that to this day have been kept in the strictest of confidence! Katie and I were also friends during some tough times. We helped each other as we struggled with certain situations. I love Katie to death, and am so grateful that I can call her my friend!


Eighth: Jaimie
Although I probably never told her, I am grateful for Jaimie! Jaimie taught me some very valuable life lessons! She taught me how to be more outgoing, break out of my comfort zone and be more social. I have many treasured memories that took place with Jaimie. One of those is the trip I took to her cabin. It was one of the most fun, yet scariest things that I had ever done in my life. Let's just say, you should always be with someone who knows how to change a tire! Thanks Jaimie for some fun times!


Ninth: My Organ Stop Friends
My Organ Stop friends are an interesting bunch of people! This is only a limited selection of them! I am grateful for the opportunity I have to talk to some of them about the gospel. Sometimes it is the scariest thing in the world to share the gospel with people you work with because you have to see them again, and you don't want to offend them! Apparently we aren't doing too bad though because we're averaging about a baptism a year. I am always amazed that people from such different backgrounds can all work together and get something done.


Tenth: Ashlee & Kaela
Sorry, no picture of Kaela. I'm also sorry that I've already designated a whole post to them previously, and you have to hear about them again. I am so grateful for these girls, they have taught me that I need to be a friend, and that friends come from all different backgrounds. Before I was friends with Kaela and Ashlee I didn't think I had very many friends, I was actually quite shocked when Kaela asked me to be one of her bridesmaids because I didn't even think we were that good of friends! It was then when I learned that I had so many friends around me, and that I wasn't being the kind of friend that I needed to be. It made me try harder to be a friend and to reach out to all of those people around me that really were my friend and I just didn't realize it!


Eleventh: Rhonda
I know I've already talked about my family, but I'd like to express gratitude to select members of my family. Please don't be offended if you're not here sibling! Rhonda is superwoman! I don't know what I'd do without her. When Rachel got married I was so mad that I had to share a room with Rhonda, but it was the best thing in the world! Rhonda and I are such good friends now, and I can't even imagine life without her! She brings so much humor into my life, and tells extremely long stories!


Scottie!
I learned to appreciate Scott more when Brad left on his mission. I love Scott and all of his creative and inventive ideas! I also love that we fight about stupid things that don't even matter so that the neighbors can have a good laugh (although I should get to drive sometimes!)


Brad:
Brad has always been my little pal. We have always done everything together. I have many great memories of adventures in the land of imagination, and very frequently wish we could still be having them!
BUT, as you can see, occasionally we still have them (who'd have thought big cement balls in front of Target could be so fun?)! Before Brad left on his mission we would talk every night on the couch in his bedroom. We would talk about our life dreams, characteristics he wants in a wife, characteristics I want in a husband, we talked about EVERYTHING! We talked about his mission, about the temple, about our testimonies, about music. I really miss those talks that could last until 3 in the morning. We even talked about how if I served a mission when I turned 21 that we would come home at about the same time. I really thought about that, I really wanted to serve a mission, he helped me to think about it more. In the end though it didn't feel right, I felt that I needed to focus my attention on my education, and be a member missionary here, at home.


Rachel:
Rachel is one of my other Best Friends! I can never thank her enough the love she has shown toward me. Rachel always made me feel safe to go to school. Just knowing that she was in the classroom down the hall and if I ever needed anything I could find her was a great relief and source of strength for me. Rachel and I also had many conversations late into the night. We would talk about anything and everything. Being girls we would cry a lot, and I mean a lot when we would talk about what the future would bring. The day Rachel got married was probably one of the hardest days in my life! I felt like I was losing my best friend, and I didn't like it. Honestly I was mad at James and wanted to know who gave him permission to take my sister away from me. Don't worry, I'm over that now, and I love James, and I love that he loves Rachel so much. I am grateful that he takes such good care of her. Rachel was always one who could talk me into anything. The picture above was shortly after I cut off all of my hair and donated it. I wasn't going to do it, but Rachel talked me into it. I'm so glad she did! Rachel taught me many things too. She taught me how to share (I always told her she should just give me her money and I'd go clothes shopping for her!) She has taught me the importance of patience, not only by living with her, but by watching her deal with other people. She has taught me that it's important to be everybody's friend. I was always amazed at Rachel's circle (or should I say herd) of friends! She has taught me how to have faith and a happy heart even during trials, hardship, and heartache. She has a great testimony of the gospel, and is a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, granddaughter, and sister!


Erik: I am grateful for Erik because he keeps me going to school. School is seriously so much easier and so much more fun when you take it with a sibling (I highly recommend it)! You already have a study partner, and someone to laugh at all the stupid jokes the teacher makes! Erik, thank you for going to school with me! I will miss taking classes with you when I move on to ASU! Erik is also a very good dad! He loves Jack so much and I love to watch them play together. I love to hear Erik say, "Hi, little man!" and watch Jacks face automatically crack into the biggest smile. Erik works so hard to support his little family, and I love him so much!
Alan:
(Sorry Alan, I forgot to load the picture of you and I didn't want it all the way at the top!)
Alan has helped me so much in the past couple of years. He has always given me advice on what class to take and with which instructor. Two of my most favorite classes were Alan recommended (BPC 110 with Dave Harris, and Sociology of Marriage and Family with Jack Peterson). Alan has also helped me to continue forward with my education and go to ASU. It is quite a scary thing to do, but Alan (and Marie) have helped me all the way! He really is like my advisor because those stupid advisors at the school really know nothing! Alan is also a very good dad, he is teaching his little girls important gospel truths with the help of his sweet wife Marie. He works very hard to provide for his family, and I am grateful that he values the importance of having Marie at home.
Well, that's all folks, I hope you're not asleep, and that I haven't made you too bored! Thank you to all those who have helped me to become the person I am, and the person I am striving to become!

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Linda! I love this post so much!! I just might copy you when I have time! :]

This is a really good reminder for me and for everybody to value what we have and who we have in our lives in this moment. It is so important because you never know when they'll be gone! Thank you! I love you! :]

Linda and Rhonda said...

Sheesh! Are you trying to make me cry? You are the best bedroom sharer I've had yet. Thanks for scaring me half to death when I moved in by telling me the burbs were peaking through the crack at me. That really strengthened our friendship! Ha ha! I love you too my little Waterbuffalo!

~Rhonda~

JaimieA said...

You probably didn't think I'd read this when you posted it, but thanks...I didn't think I was someone you were thankful for...

p.s. I still don't really know how to change a tire...

Lisa said...

Linda! So it turns out that Jorge has to babysit his sister tomorrow. So he actually ended up meeting with the missionaries tonight. Anamin, Travis and I all worked so only Celesta went with him. But we'll have to tell you about it!! He's going to read the BOM and said he'll get baptized if he believes it is true :]

JaimieA said...

Christmas music the day after Halloween?! What is this world coming to? ...but sadly I'm one of the people that likes Christmas music so much I'll listen to it no matter what month it is...

Lisa said...

Haha...oops...yeah sometimes I feel bad because I'm with Travis and Anamin and Jorge so much, especially Travis. But I mean Stephen doesn't seem to mind and I've really missed having people to hang out with...sometimes he seems upset but sometimes he seems like he'd rather not hang out with us anyways (not in a rude way). I just don't know. lol.

Also is there a way to tell when people comment your blog besides going to the blog and looking? haha

Marie said...

Glad I made the countdown. I'm so good at being a college mentor it's now my profession. Thanks for telling me about the CPR class too. I think it is a fair trade. Much love, Alan

KeLSie ORdonEz said...

Hey Linda....and Rhonda!! I don't think I have ever commented, but I promise, I do read it!! Nice little blog you two have going! So fun!

Well, wow, Linda, I didn't know I made the countdown. Especially since it seems like we haven't seen eachother for a long time!And where did you get those pictures from?!? lol, eek! Kind of scary...haha.

I like this post a lot though!

And Rhonda, it sounds and looks like so much fun for your dance! High School dances...they were just sooo much fun!

Well, I will try to do better at commenting..... I am a little MIA in the blogworld lately. Sam and I have been busy house searching...and we put an offer on a home and now are doing a multiple offer thing....just really busy, but I guess that is how life goes, isn't it?

Well hope you guys are doing awesome. I am soo excited for Thanksgiving weekend. You guys are going to the family reunion, right? I can't wait! yay! Okay, well, I will see ya! -Kelsie